Finding Where Those Calories Come From
Sample Label for Macaroni and Cheese
Hopefully, you’ve already downloaded one of these apps at the intake meeting with your Lifestyle coach but if not, you can download one to your smart phone or computer. Among some of the most popular examples of free trackers are MyFitnessPal, Lifesum, Weight Watchers and Lose It!
Many apps offer a premium upgrade for a fee which provides additional functions but you can get the information you need for UPrevent from the free format.
Begin entering everything you eat and drink. The apps will keep a running total of your daily calorie intake as well as the weekly average.
If you prefer not to log using an app, use the app as a calorie reference and write the information in a food/activity diary or notebook.
Small differences in portions can mean a big difference in calories
So when you are tracking:
Include both food and beverages
Provide full details. For example, instead of entering “turkey sandwich,” enter all the things, including amounts, that are in the sandwich as follows:
- 2 slices whole wheat bread 1 slice American cheese
- 1 slice turkey
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 slice whole wheat toast
- 1 tsp butter
“Toast with butter” should be detailed as follows:
Don’t forget small nibbles
How to Cope With Challenges
I am too busy
– Remember why you are tracking—to lower your risk of type 2 diabetes!
– Make it a priority to track. It takes just a couple minutes after each meal.
I have trouble using a food tracking app
– Take a photo of your food.
– Ask your lifestyle coach, friends, or family members to help you enter your Food Log.
I keep forgetting
– Put a reminder on your phone or computer.
– Leave yourself notes where you’ll see them.
– Ask friends and family to remind you.
I don’t like to track
– Share your results with others.
– Give yourself a small (nonfood) reward for meeting your food goals.
– Ask a friend or family member to track their food too.
You won’t have to log forever - but once you’ve mastered it, you have a powerful tool that you can always come back to!
Create A Positive Action Plan
For now the most important thing is to develop the habit of tracking what you eat and drink.
What is important is to: